Spot flowers that bees love
- Use the spotter guide below to identify New Zealand non-native trees that bees love. At what times of the year were they flowering when you found them?
Download Introduced 'trees for bees' (pdf, A4)
- Were bees actually foraging on the flowers? Why or why not?
- What do you observe about the flowers and how they might be attracting bees?
- Discuss what benefits bees gain from the flowers.
- How can you tell if bees are collecting nectar or pollen?
- Discuss why bees might need more sources of food. Where might their food sources have gone?
Hints and tips
- Warning: Do not get within 0.5 m of bees that are foraging on flowers. Mitigate any risks associated with potential stings and allergic reactions by being prepared with a risk assessment plan, appropriate permissions, medicines and adult supervision.
Native trees for bees Spotter Guide
Selecting trees for bees Activity
Flowers for bees
Pollinator pulling power
Pollinators in New Zealand
Trees for bees — keeping bees healthy