- Students will be able to
- appreciate the diversity of insects and birds involved in pollinating New Zealand plants
- recognise and name some pollinators
- make observations of their foraging behaviours.
Spot flowers that bees love
- Use the spotter guide below to identify New Zealand pollinators of flowers. To do this, find a place where there are lots of flowering plants. This could be in a garden, in a wasteland area, a mixed native tree shelterbelt, or the unkept margins of fields.
- Try to find as many examples of the pollinators as you can. How do you know that the animals you find are pollinators?
- Record what you find by ticking the boxes and recording your observations by writing about them, drawing, or taking photos.
Pollinators in New Zealand spotter pdf download (optimised for colour printing on A4).
Hints and tips