Essential Freshwater Package
The Essential Freshwater Package has raised a lot of questions across all New Zealand farm sectors.
FAR has run two meetings explaining the new regulations and how they may impact on arable farms. We haven't been able to run them right across New Zealand, so if you haven't been able to attend, check out the material below which was presented at those meetings.
Abie Horrocks, FAR environment researcher, outlines the key points of the essential Freshwater package, including the:
- Refreshed National Policy Statement - Freshwater Management (NPS-FM)
- National Environmental Standard for Freshwater (NES-FW) - includes intensive winter grazing rules and N cap
- Amendments to the Resource Management Act
Revisiting Farm Environment Plans
In the video below, Diana Mathers, FAR farm systems researcher, outlines the impacts of the new rules on Farm Environment Plans (FEP). FEP templates are also attached below. There is one generic arable FEP, and 'add-on' modules for Selwyn Te Waihora, Waitaki and for winter grazing.
- Farm Environment Plan template
- Mahinga Kai & Biodiversity - Selwyn Te Waihora
- Mahinga Kai & Biodiversity - Waitaki
- Winter grazing
For more information visit the Environment Canterbury Frequently Asked Questions page.